Monday, July 4, 2016

Top 10 Newborn Must Haves!

Hi guys!

I got a ton of comments and messages on my last post (Top 5 Regrettable Purchases). I love that people actually read my crazy blog posts. I honestly feel like I'm word vomiting -- think Mean Girls.
Anywhoo, I have Selena Gomez on repeat and I am ready to share my Top 10 Must Haves.

** I am NOT an expert. I am only sharing what worked for me.
**I am also sharing so that you don't make the same mistakes that I did.
**Also, I titled this Newborn Must Haves because I am sure my "needs" will change as baby's do.

After the initial shock of finding out we were pregnant wore off, panic set in. If you know me, you know that I pretend to be easy going and seemingly carefree...but really I am crazy. When my mind is set on something, I become obsessive. It almost becomes addictive.  (Hi, my name is Megan and I am the child of an addict.)

I did a sh*t ton of research and only purchased what (I thought) we absolutely needed. If you read my last post you know that some of it didn't work out. But I like to pride myself, in thinking that we use almost everything that we bought. We don't really have the space for extra stuff anyways!

Ok, here goes.

Top 10 Newborn Must-Haves:

1.  Video Monitor 




If you can splurge and get the video monitor, DO IT! I cannot talk this product up enough. We registered for the Summer Video Monitor from Target. Our parents bought it for us and it is a Godsend.
I swear Baby J tries to talk in his sleep. Now, instead of climbing up our stairs for the 514th time to check on him, I can just peek at my video and see that he is, in fact soundly asleep, just making a new song.
I mean...maybe I would be skinnier if I didn't have a video monitor.
Bahaha. Excuse me while I eat my Oreos.
#milfanyways

**If you can, get a monitor that fits in your pocket or has a clip so you can take it with you. Ours doesn't, you live and you learn.


2.  Car Seat/Stroller

Obviously this is a must. They will not even let you leave the hospital without a carseat. So, I figured while you're at it just buy the stroller that goes with it. You can get some pretty sweet deals when you buy the two together.

We chose the Chicco Bravo because it's amazeballs!

Let me count the ways:

  • It stands up after it's folded-- most strollers I found have to lay on their side. 
  • It is a Click N Connect -- Meaning the carseat clicks right in. No need to transfer baby. This is such a huge win because we don't need to wake Jaxon up if we don't want to. 
  • It is lightweight. I'm not a tall person and it was hard for me to actually pick up most of the strollers we looked at. I was 9 months pregnant at the time..but still.  I can pick ours up with ease.
  • It has suspension so it doesn't wake Baby up when we go over bumps. 
  • It has dual locks so you can lock/unlock both sides with one move. 
  • It has an adjustable handle. B is a giant and I am not...so that's needed.
  • Bear can fit in the bottom basket. -- This is irrelevant. Just a fun fact. You're welcome.
We purchased this ourself using the Completion Discount paired with our Redcard and got a whopping 20% off. 



** Fun Fact: I wanted the one with Polka Dots. B said no. Fair enough.


3.  Pump

I got my pump for free through our insurance. I received the Ameda Purely Yours pump. I was stoked for having saved about $300. Everything was working wonderfully until day 5 when one pump decided not to work. So I had to pump twice as long. Stopping to switch out my bottles. It was a mess.

Then one day I was pumping in front of my friend. Because after you have a baby and you've been breastfeeding and pumping, you really don't care if your boob is out in front of another woman. Like, heyyyyyo, join the party.

Basically after she saw how slow my pump was, she told me I had to get a Medela Pump.
Luckily, she knew someone who was selling their used one.
EEEEEW.
Gross!
A used pump?
Freaking sicko.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Whatevs. I'll give you a minute to process that. I have time to process it myself.

Moving on. The used pump was only $50 and I bought the pump accessory set from target, so I really didn't even use her old parts, just the pump itself.


This pump is no joke! It cut the time it took to pump in half and I got twice as much milk! 

4.  First Aid Kit/CPR Training

It absolutely amazes me that a license is required to fish, own a dog, own a gun, drive a car...but there is nothing stopping me from taking a human home. The hospital just let me leave. They didn't ask me if I knew how to take care for the little squish that they were sending me home with.

I think if more people were educated on child development and the well-being of a child, that we would see less abuse. Ugh. I can't even get into this right now. #canteven #basicbish

Anyways, I was lucky enough to have gone through a few child development courses in college. I was also required to have CPR training, so I was already certified before we found out we were even pregnant. Still, if you cannot remember what to do if an infant is choking, I would recommend a refresher course.

Check with your local hospital or community centers for classes.

5.  Swaddles


 I prefer two brands: either Aden & Anais or Little Unicorn. I listed a picture of the swaddles that we purchased from Little Unicorn. I'm obsessed with monotone -- Sorry Grammy and the alphabet... so these were perfect.

Both brands are awesome. The swaddles are huge and super soft. If you go with Aden &Anais, I suggest purchasing from their website and not Target.


6.  The Contented Little Baby Book


Again, this is just my opinion. I didn't try any other books when it came to putting Jaxon on a schedule and I'm sure that something else might have also done the trick.

I originally attempted Baby-Led Scheduling, which I was hoping would work out and it failed, miserably. Jaxon was exhausted; I was exhausted. It was a sh*t show.

This book has a schedule to follow almost down to the minute. It does change as baby gets older, but we are on day 8 of scheduling and I can already see a difference in my sweet boy. He is being fed properly and he is getting the right amount of sleep.

J is much happier and Momma is getting more sleep too...so it's a huge win.

7.  Rock N' Play Sleeper


We used the Rock N' Play Sleeper instead of a traditional bassinet. We chose this because 1. Brandon did not want Jaxon in the bed with us & 2. Sleeping at an angle helps the gas escape. We haven't really ever had an issue -- unless I eat dairy. Baby does not like dairy.

My husband would tell you to get the one with the automatic rocker so you don't have to rock it for what seems like hours... I might agree, but I also secretly like that it's not plugged into anything. In the beginning, I would move it all around the house, so I could clean and fold laundry while J watched.

This one is on sale right now at Target.

8.  Nursing Pillow 

110% this! I am in love with my nursing pillow. We chose the Boppy, but I have also heard really good things about the Ergo and My Breast Friend. I LOVE this thing. Nursing is hard. It is even harder if you have to hold baby up all by yourself. The Boppy has been extremely helpful in eliminating neck pain and in the early days I would fall asleep nursing Jaxon and he would just fall asleep on the Boppy, tucked into me. 

Be forewarned, my little newborn tended to slip in between the pillow and my tummy. It got easier as J got bigger. 

9.  Diaper Genie



I wish I was one of those crunchy moms that use cloth diapers. Seriously, props to you guys! I might have to pick your brain on how you do this successfully. But for now I have a diaper genie.
Truth be told, I should've purchased this second hand, because let's face it...it's a garbage can. But bougie me... had to have everything from Target. Because #basicbisheslovetarget

**Sidenote: in an attempt to save money, we also purchased a small plastic trash can that we use for pee-filled diapers. Only poop diapers go in the diaper genie. We haven't had to purchase refill bags as a result. Saving that scrilla. omg. Who am I?


10.  Sound Machine 

I'm not even sure that J needs this...but I read somewhere that if babies wake in a quiet room that it's the equivalent of shoving them into a dark closet alone. Eeeek. I will give my sweet boy white noise so he knows I'm not a maniac.

It's also helpful when I'm unloading the dishwasher and I know he can't hear the clanging because he has the machine.

We purchased two.

One for his room:
This one comes with a projector that displays cute scenes on the ceiling. 
Super cute right? 
Wrong. 
As babies get older, the light wakes them. So it's not needed. 


One for Travel (car rides, etc): 


I thought this would be awesome because he could cuddle it and take it everywhere.
 A portable sound machine. I mean, honestly, what could be better? 
Welp, this thing was as big as him. And it's too big to fit in the car seat with him. 
The sound machine insert is also hard...so not very cuddly. 


When we are out an about we just use the sound app on our phones. Parent win!


If you have extra money:

1. Blackout Curtains

  • Or you can be cheap like us...And put tin foil over your windows. Dad gets credit for that one. 

2. Changing Pad

  • I say this is a bonus because we only use ours about half the time. I usually just lay a blanket or mat down wherever we are because, again, stairs. 

3. Wipe Dispenser
4. Baby Gym

  • We use this everyday, but you can just as easily stand over baby and play. It's just a nice distraction when I need a break or when I need to grab my 6th cup of coffee. 

5. *Good* Baby Towels/Washcloths

  • There is a difference. I didn't even think to check. But make sure your towels are water absorbent. Why they would make some that are not is beyond me. I got a few from the baby shower that are super flimsy and not soft at all. I use them for changing mats. 

6. Rocking Chair

  • If you get one, I would suggest getting one that leans back. We didn't even think about that so ours doesn't. It would have been so awesome in the early stages to lay back after baby had FINALLY fallen asleep. 
Hope this helps! 



XO - Megs 

No comments:

Post a Comment